Sunday, September 19, 2010

Don't get me wrong ...

I do care about environment issues. And I do care about saving energy (above all at the end of the month, when I recieve my bill ...)

But I am a bit jaded about trends... For about 5 or 6 years now, "Climate Change" is becoming the new greenwagon everyone want to board, without any firm scientific proof. I am not saying Global warming is a hoax. But I say that its alleged terrifying consequences are just ... estimates ! 

But it makes no odds. Multinational firmsfashion magazines, even schools ... everyone has turned greenie within (too) few years. A good article from Slate Magazine mentions that even the very serious New York Times Magazine is suffering from this new green-brained disease.
"It published a feature on the glories of an experimental solar-hydrogen house. The piece read great until a less-than-worshipful letter writer caught up with the magazine two weeks later. Using hydrogen as an energy-storage medium is wasteful, A.R. Martin wrote to the magazine. "For every 100 kilowatts of electricity produced by the solar cells, only about 40 kilowatts is recovered from the hydrogen fuel cell. By contrast, as much as 80 kilowatts could be recovered from a storage battery."

In a nutshell, solar-hydrogen houses and all these eco-trendy stuffs will not change our lives, since all this is lacking of scientific background. For now, it is nothing but eco-snobbery.




No comments:

Post a Comment